A portable car battery charger should be on every prepper supplies list. They don’t just charge your battery they can also charge your cellphone and some even have AC inverters to plug in a household appliance. If you can invest a little extra and go up in size you can ones that can power your laptop!
The jumper cables are useless without another car so get yourself a portable car battery charger and check off one more area you are self-sufficient.
Of course, these don’t replace a small generator for household appliances but if you are short on space and money this is a great alternative as long as you know the limitations.
Having a portable battery handy can save time and money. Last time I needed by car battery jumped I called Triple A and they used a portable car battery charger, so why not get one and save a little time.
What to look for when shopping for a portable car battery charger
Here are two practical things that you should consider before purchasing a portable car battery charger. Add an inexpensive charger to your prepper supplies list.
- What do you need the charger for?
If you only need a charger for your car’s battery, then you can get by with a basic charger, but why not get one that can charge your cell phone in an emergency. When the power goes out, you’ll be glad you have it.
- How many amps do you need?
If you have a bigger engine, you will need more starting amps. Basically, how much power is needed to start the engine. Make sure the one you buy is capable of starting your car’s battery.
Here are a few affordable options under $100.
A few reasons to purchase a portable car battery charger.
- No need for help when you own one of these chargers. Just attach the car battery charger to your car battery and then start your car.
- Generally very lightweight and can be moved around easily.
- Not only can these chargers be a lifesaver on the road and can potentially save you from needing a tow, but they are also relatively affordable to purchase as well.
Even if you have a car battery charger consider a Triple-A membership for those times you really need a tow.