I love to cook uncomplicated recipes, and old fashion stick to your ribs comfort food is the most fun. I work a full-time day job so cooking during the week becomes utilitarian and most of the time the husband takes control of the Monday through Friday kitchen duty. On the weekends the kitchen is my domain and I usually make stews, soups, roasts, or sweet treats for the weekend menu. Also, I make sure to have a bit leftover for a Monday brown bag lunch.
Using your slow cooker or crockpot is perfect for whipping up simple meals and saves space in your small kitchen.
This week I’m making my favorite easy chili recipe. My chili recipe is perfect for the small kitchen cook since you have very little prep other than dicing the green pepper and onion and opening a few cans.
My Easy Chili Recipe also posted on A Weekend Cook
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef (20 percent fat)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1–1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (15 ounces) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (5 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a 3-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat and saute the onions, green pepper and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and using a wooden spoon break up the meat, then add the cayenne powder and chili powder, cook the ground beef thoroughly stirring occasionally to brown and cook evenly.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, lime juice, and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle the red pepper flakes over the chili. Lower heat to medium and continue cooking for 30 minutes